2003 UNESCO Convention for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage Consultation
18 January 2024
A consultation has been released which seeks feedback on some of the decisions regarding the first stage of implementing the 2003 UNESCO Convention for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage.
It is part of a wider consultation process taking place until the end of February to inform a policy paper which will outline the details of how the UK plans to implement the Convention. This survey is being run by the UK government but has been developed and agreed with the devolved administrations which have responsibility for their own heritage policy.
The Convention talks of ‘safeguarding’ Intangible Cultural Heritage. Unlike ‘preservation’ or ‘conservation’ for tangible heritage, which is usually concerned with making sure the item is not changed or damaged, ‘safeguarding’ is generally understood to include raising awareness, building participation, ensuring sustainability, and supporting the passing on of skills and knowledge.
The first stage of implementation will be to create an inventory of Intangible Cultural Heritage in the UK.
The second stage of implementation will be the ongoing safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage in the UK.
How to respond and share your views:
Responses are invited relating to the first stage of implementation (that is, to define and identify Intangible Cultural Heritage) to help progress this work.
A number of themed discussions are also planned (see list below). Individuals are welcome to register for whichever is most suited to their interests and/or availability, and welcome to join more than one discussion should they wish.
List of ICH roundtable discussions:
- England, Friday 26th January 9:30-11:30am
- Northern Ireland, Friday 26th January 1-3pm ***
- Wales, Monday 29th January 10-12pm
- Scotland, Tuesday 30th January 1-3pm
- Oral traditions & expressions, including Folklore, Monday 5th February 10-12pm
- Oral traditions & expressions, including Folklore, Monday 5th February 7-9pm
- Performing arts, Wednesday 7th February 9-11am
- Performing arts, Wednesday 7th February 7-9pm
- Social practices, rituals, festive events, Thursday 8th February 10-12pm
- Social practices, rituals, festive events, Thursday 8th February 7-9pm
- Nature and the universe, Monday 12th February 10-12pm
- Nature and the universe, Monday 12th February 7-9pm
- Traditional craftsmanship, Tuesday 13th February 1-3pm, online ***
- Traditional craftsmanship, Tuesday 13th February 7-9pm, online ***
- Culinary traditions, Monday 19th February 10-12pm
- Traditional sports and games, Tuesday 20th February 1-3pm
- Minority ICH, Thursday 22nd February 10-12pm