Crafting Shirts with Jane McCann and Sirpa Mörsky
About the event
Lead Maker / Practitioner: Jane McCann with visiting practitioner Sirpa Mörsky (Finland).The focus will be on shirts – to produce garment shapes from a basic shirt block for on-going development that may be:
- Enduring style as opposed to transient fast fashion
- Adaptable to different end uses from casual workwear to the exotic
- Ageless and inclusive: Sized to the style preference of the wearer
- Offering potential for embellishment and personalisation
- Suitable for domestic machine sewing – or potentially hand sewn.
Pattern style adaption:
- Introduction to practical pattern block adaptation for a range of styles:
- For example, adaptation can: Elongate / Crop / Gather / Flare etc.
- Typical adaptations may include: Workwear Jacket/ Smock/ Shirt Dress.
- Guidance on fabric selection and potential for embellishment and personalisation
- Brief reference to methods of joining of seams
- 2 / 3 metres calico
- Please select light, medium or heavy weight calico dependent on style preference to be developed. (NB: Medium weight calico will be available for participants to buy if necessary)
- Set square – if available and/or Ruler – if available
- Pattern Tracing Wheel – would be helpful!
- Tape measure
- Pencils (Soft and Hard) and Pencil sharpener
- Paper scissors and Fabric scissors
- Pins, Needles, and thread
Not suitable for under 16s
Those with a love of timeless clothing, with an interest in textiles and simple shirts/ workwear and some basic experience in sewing / making.
Please bring a packed lunch.
Where is it taking place?
Address provided on booking
When is it taking place?
Tuesday 1st August
Price and do you need to book?
£70 (plus cost of calico if buying from host)
To book: firstname.lastname@example.org
Creative Peninsula, now in its 22nd year, is a thriving annual festival of creativity taking place in the picturesque borough of Ards and North Down.
The region is well known for its many Artists and Makers and during Creative Peninsula visitors have the opportunity to view their work, purchase or commission a unique piece or art or try their hand in a workshop.
This event is a part of August Craft Month held in collaboration with Design & Crafts Council Ireland and Cork Craft & Design. 2023 will mark the 17th annual August Craft Month in NI with makers all across the island of Ireland getting involved.
All August Craft Month events are run independently by the event organisers. For questions regarding this event please contact the event organiser directly.