- This event has passed.
‘Wool Works’ Workshop: Crafting shirts with prof. Jane McCann, Sirpa Mörsky and Elspeth Thomas
2 August 2022 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm£65
Associated with the ‘Wool Works’ exhibition (now open at Craft NI Gallery until August 5th) and also part of the Creative Peninsula programme, this full day workshop will focus on crafting shirts. The event will be lead by maker/practitioner Jane McCann with visiting practitioners Sirpa Mörsky (Finland) & Elspeth Thomas (Wales).
Participants will learn to produce garment shapes from a basic shirt block for on-going development that may be:
- Enduring style as opposed to transient fast fashion
- Adaptable to different end uses from casual workwear to the exotic
- Ageless and inclusive: Sized to the style preference of the wearer
- Offering potential for embellishment and personalisation
- Suitable for domestic machine sewing – or potentially hand sewn.
Pattern style adaption:
Introduction to practical pattern block adaptation for a range of styles:
For example, adaptation can: Elongate / Crop / Gather / Flare etc.
Typical adaptations may include: Workwear Jacket/ Smock/ Shirt Dress.
Guidance on fabric selection and potential for embellishment and personalisation
Brief reference to methods of joining of seams
Please bring: 2 / 3 metres calico
Please select light, medium or heavy weight calico dependent on style preference to be developed. (NB: Medium weight calico will be available for participants to buy if necessary)
- Set square – if available and/or Ruler – if available
- Pattern Tracing Wheel – would be helpful!
- Tape measure
- Pencils (Soft and Hard) and Pencil sharpener
- Paper scissors and Fabric scissors
- Pins, Needles, and thread
Participants: (Maximum 8) (Not suitable for under 16)
Those with a love of timeless clothing, with an interest in textiles and simple shirts/ workwear and some basic experience in sewing / making.
Please note: the price of the workshop does not include calico – this will be extra if buying from host. Coffee and tea will be provided but participants will need to bring their own lunch.
Booking: please contact: email@example.com